GET LOST IN THE WOODS
The Woods represents a gathering among the elements–a forest of powerful growth, a place to get lost. In creating this project, we mindfully designed the open spaces to encourage exploration and discovery. Featuring a central courtyard–“The Quad”–beset on all sides by a forest of four unique buildings, the property is an enclave, a preserved space to foster community, activity and adventure. Take a trek through The Woods and rendezvous with your new home today.
FROM STUMP FARMS TO THE WOODS
William and Elizabeth Morrice built this cabin on the family’s 100-acre homestead—the future site of “The Woods at Alderwood.” Photo: Lynnwood Alderwood Manor Heritage Association (LAMHA)
The Interurban Trolley ran between Seattle and Everett from 1910 to 1939. This rail line was converted to the “Interurban Trail” for recreation, now popular with active outdoor enthusiasts. Photo: LAMHA
In the early 1900s, much of the Alderwood area was logged, leaving acres and acres of stumps. In 1917, the Puget Mill Company began selling “stump farms” to newcomers as five-acre chicken farms, now referring to the area as “Alderwood Manor.” Photo: LAMHA
Puget Mill Company’s flyer reads, “For the Individual, a Little Land and Liberty. For the Community, Co-Operation and Efficiency” promoting the sale of local stump farms as fertile land to raise chickens.
A 30-acre “demonstration farm” was built to educate new residents on raising crops and chickens, as well as to market the Alderwood Manor plots to “Little Landers,” a nickname for the new residents. Alderwood Manor, 1925. Courtesy UW Special Collections
A view down “Alderwood Road,” later named “SW 196th Street” Courtesy UW Special Collections
In the late 1960s, having outgrown their previous surroundings, the faculty and students of Lynnwood High School set their sights on new digs at a new location–Right on the land where this apartment community now sits.
With campus construction nearly complete, Lynnwood High School students were more than ready to move into their new home.
Lynnwood High School sat on this site for several decades, serving as host to generations of future famous faces.
Funding for construction of a much-needed, larger school was approved in 2006 and construction began at a new location in 2007. The original LHS buildings, here at this site, remained vacant from 2009 to 2015.
THE BUILDERS OF THE WOODS
New construction is a beautiful thing. It is worth recognizing the artistry of the many men and women who brought their expertise to bear in the realization of this property. From the excavators and concrete workers, to the crane operators, framers and finishers, The Woods is the sum total of a massive effort by skilled artisans, each a master of their craft. Spend some time behind the scenes getting to know the people who built your home.